8/29/16

First Week

I have officially survived the craziness of the first week of my first year of college. 
I have to be honest and say that it's not quite as magical or life-changing as the younger version of myself hoped it would be. And I know that it's only beginning of the second week and I need to give it time, but if there is one basic life skill I lack, it is patience. 
And of course I want to enjoy the experience, and in a lot of ways I am, but I feel like I'm at a slight disadvantage. 
I am attending a school that is approximately one mile down the road from the high school I graduated from. I still live in the home I've lived in for years, because tuition is a lot cheaper when you don't actually live at the college. I am still surrounded by a lot of the same people. I still work in a fast-food like place (starbucks = the death of me.) 
So basically every dream young Madalyn had has been thrown right out the window. The highest window. And the ground is on fire. 
In all seriousness, I really thought I'd be like a lot of the other kids around me and move away for college. I am insanely jealous of the people who are states, or even just towns away. Don't get me wrong - I love this university, but it was not my original intention. 
Not living on campus means that I missed a really good opportunity to meet new people around my age. I don't have a roommate, unless you count my grandmothers four dogs. I've spoken to a total of two new people thanks to classes and a campus party.
And, as previously mentioned, I have a job. A job means less free time, which means less time to spend on campus in hopes of meeting people and creating those magic life long friendships I always hear about. 

Maybe I held my college expectation a little too high. I'm sure the people who move away from their homes experience some of the same problems. Everyone else is also being forced to get out of their comfort zones and do new things. And with clubs and activities starting up, I'm sure it will introduce me to new fantastic people. 

I do love the classes I'm taking, and I do love not having classes at 7:30AM. I love that some of the people I graduated high school with also go to school here, so I'm not totally alone. I really can't wait to see what college has to offer. 

No comments :